Monday, September 14, 2009

My Personal Statement :) (Edited)

Doing exceedingly well in my sciences during secondary school days, I developed my educational background in science. I got into junior college and am now pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Life Sciences at the National University of Singapore. Despite this, I am not setting my career path on science as I realized I cannot realize my full potential in that field. It is beyond doubt that I want to build my career on my strengths and personality to achieve excellence in it.

I was once contented in being an ordinary person, leading a routine and mundane life. That was until I met someone who has impacted me tremendously with his extraordinary visions and life. He is a leader in my church, who inspires and teaches me how to pursue dreams beyond my imagination. I was stirred and from then I decided to step out of my comfort zone to strive for greater things in my life. I started to embrace challenges which set me on a rocky road, with a positive attitude.

On June 2009, two of my friends and I started an educational business. Truly, it is arduous to manage the business and my hectic work at the same time. There are many instances when I felt overwhelmed by the amount of work to handle. Nevertheless I persist not submitting to difficulty. At every obstacle, I seize the opportunity to increase my capacity and endurance level as I strongly believe that I will emerge stronger. Planning ahead and prioritizing my work faithfully enables me to meet all my deadlines. Time is precious and self-discipline is essential for me to achieve proper time-management. Focusing my visions far keeps me away from pursuing instant gratification and gets me going. A compromise has to be made between my loved ones and work. Leading a balanced life is the key for me to not be burnout and having proper rest and recreational ensures higher efficiency at work and in school. Through all these, I was greatly comforted when our business grew steadily in the midst of our struggles. This proved to me that perseverance is a major determinant to achieving excellence.

My values and beliefs have led me to place a high value in my relationships with people. I cherish my loved ones and they are my source of strength in life. I am truly grateful to those who helped me in my tough times and I yearn to help those in need in ways that I can. It is my utmost desire to go into counseling and I am intending to take up counseling courses which will better equip me professionally. Living life only to meet my own needs is the last thing I want to do. I want to bless people with what I am blessed with and that brings me greatest joy. To me, living life to the fullest is living life with no regrets. I want to look back one day and rejoice in everything that I have done. :)

8 comments:

  1. Hey Nappy!

    Wow!From having a mundane life to having your own business is a big change! I understand it could be tiring. But, i am sure the satisfaction would spur you on to persevere.press on Nappy!

    I think counselling takes great amount of patience, and i salute you for choosing that path.=) All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nappy!

    I think it's adventurous of you to start a business at such a young age, it's not easy to cope between both work and study. I also admired that you actually did the things you said and spent life to the fullest. Your experiences set me thinking about my beliefs and actions, I've so much to learn.

    Thanks for sharing your warmhearted experience.

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Napalie!

    I admired your courage to strive for greater things in life. It is not easy at all to manage a business and studies at the same time and so I’m really proud of you. =)

    I am sure that your determination and perseverance would bring you to greater heights in the future. All the best to you and thank you so much for the inspiring post!


    Peiling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nappy,

    You have a lot of info here that seems fairly cohesive (until at the end when you mention music). You show a sort of personal transformation that gives a positive impression. As one of the commentators mentioned, this is an inspiring post. It might have been more inspiring if you had given us some indication of the "secret" to your personal and business success. What specific trait has prompted you to face challenges and escape from your "comfort zone"?

    There are also a number of language issues here:



    1) Doing exceeding well in my Sciences during secondary school days... > Doing exceedingLY well in my science courses during secondary school....

    2) Junior College > junior college

    3) Science > ?

    4) Despite all these > Despite this

    5) ...as I have come to realize it is something that I may not be able to give my best. > this statement may be too honest, and for that reason, not the best to use in a personal statement for employment purposes

    6) It was beyond doubt > tense?

    7) It was until I met someone > That was until I met someone

    8) my religion institution > ?

    9) I love music and I hope to touch people’s life through music. > This statement pops up out of nowhere. You need to transition to it, connecting it to what precedes it.

    Thank you for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nappy!

    I'm inspired by your courage to step out of your comfort zone and even start up your own business. I wanted to begin my own business but I never had the courage to do that. I'm impressed by your determination and how you juggle your business and school work.

    Your entry changed my impression of you totally. I used to think that you are a quiet, demure and soft girl, who is easily bullied. I amd wrong! The challanges you went through have proven your perseverence and strong will-power! I'm sure you'll reach your goal as a counsellor.

    Thanks for this inspiring entry! :)

    Shiny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nappy, your experience of handling business and studies simultaneously is indeed a very unique one.

    I have some suggestions here. Your statement seems a little bit abstract. Maybe you can elaborate more and give more concrete examples such as the way you maintain good relationship with your parents or your friends.

    In addition, maybe you can confine your statement to just one topic, either your experience in handling business and studies together or your beliefs. Maybe this will make your statement more specific and impressive. =)

    Cheers,
    Zhi Peng

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear all,

    Wow thanks for all the encouragements and comments that you all have given. (: I foresee more challanges and it is the people around me that keeps me going on. (:

    Thanks Brad I will edit my errors and post it up again! (:

    Love,
    Nappy

    ReplyDelete
  8. If not volunteer work, you got your GPA, you studied your GMAT and passed, and now it's time to send out those applications. With those applications, though, comes the idea of showing off your skills through the MBA statement of purpose essay portion of your application. writing a personal statement for college

    ReplyDelete