Monday, November 16, 2009

Final Reflection :)

It is amazing that I have survived ES2007S! I have never taken a module which requires so many written assignments, as I am weaker in languages compared to sciences. That is also a reason to why I dread taking arts module. But surprisingly, I do not regret taking this module despite of its heavy workload. I feel that this is the most fulfilling module I have taken in year 3. Throughout my course of study in NUS, ES2007S is the module which I am most engaged in speaking. It is also the first module which I have interacted with almost everyone in class! I feel that this class is able to be so engaging and enjoyable is in virtue of our instructor Brad, who has the courage of not conforming to the norm of teaching and thus making the lessons a different experience for us. Thanks Brad! :)

Throughout this module, I have learnt many invaluable communications skills which I think would help me in my future endeavors. If there was an extended module following ES2007S, I would definitely take it. This course has given me an opportunity to refine my writing skills through the weekly blog post. I find that blogging makes writing less distressing compared to writing a report.  I have learnt how to avoid misunderstanding by conveying information accurately, and enabling a two-way communication. Learning how to listen actively and to express proper non-verbal cues also allows me to interact with people better. I will continue to build on these interpersonal skills to establish long-lasting relationships.  

I have gained a lot of knowledge in the skills that will be important in the workplace and I will keep all the notes that I have been given. I have learnt better presentation skills during the peer teaching and in fact I have applied it on my UROPS presentation. It received positive feedbacks and I was thankful that I took this module! I believe the reason to why I have learnt so much is as we have been practicing the skills in almost every lesson. Being placed in different groups, I need to interact and work with people of different styles and characters. These experiences are steps to more effective communication with different people for me! 

A component in the module requires us to write a proposal for any improvement in NUS. I feel that this has led me to think critically which I was not used to be, and to be bold to explore new and creative ideas.  Our group was very glad that NUS Science Library and Centre for Development of Teaching and Learning showed great interest in our proposal on the “Implementation of compulsory Web of Science and Endnote learning for first year undergraduates”. Somehow I feel that my confidence level has increased after I gave the oral presentation too. :)  

Apart from the skills imparted to me in classroom, I have also learnt indirectly out of the class. The heavy workload is also an opportunity for me to increase my capacity as I learnt how to plan my work properly in order to meet the deadlines. Most of my blog posts were written when I had waiting time for my lab work and this led me to master multitasking!  

I believe that the efforts that I have put into these modules will not be put to waste. I am very happy to have known many new friends in this module. I would like to thank you all for the encouragements and support through the whole course, and our cool instructor Brad Blackstone for your patience and guidance in us. All in all, the new and closer friendships that I have built, coupled with the effective communication skills that I have acquired, makes this a very fulfilling module! :)





 Happy Graduation from ES2007S! :D






4 comments:

  1. Hey Nappie!!

    Its so wonderful how all of us gained so much from this module in various ways! From blog, to class discussions and group work, we learnt so much from exchanging ideas with one another.

    Among all the modules i have taken so far, this module is the only one that has engaged me the most!

    So grateful to have built this friendship with you =)Thank you for being so patient during peer teaching.May the skills learnt in this modules help you when you teach! i'm sure your students will love you even more!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nappy!

    This is the first time I am commenting on your blog! Haha. Anyway, I agree with you that the skills that we have picked up from this module are very beneficial to us. Not only did we improve on presentation skills, we learnt how to communicate effectively with our peers and the how to write more fluently.

    I am glad that the NUS Science Library has shown interest in your proposal. It gives the feeling that your work is appreciated which feels very different from a normal piece of school work right?

    In your post, I think you have sum up all the various skills we have learnt so far. In addition, you added your personal opinions and thoughts. I think you have improved as compared to the earlier posts! Keep up the good work and good luck for your finals!

    Love,
    Jia Min

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much, Nappy, for this heart-felt, comprehensive reflection. You elaborate very well on a number of areas where you feel you have found practical value in ES. You also explain in detail just how the skills learnt can ad have already served you. I was especially impressed that CDTL and the library were interested in receiving a copy of your well conceived and executed proposal. That shows just how relevant your work in ES has been.

    Thank you again for all your effort, both individually and as a member of a very good team and class group! Best wishes for your future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Napalie,

    It is an honorable and great pleasure to be working with you in the ES2007S project. I am impress by your growth after 13 weeks of classes. Yous have gained tremendous confidence in presentation, taking proactive roles in our project and challenging your own limitations. I would say that no matter how difficult our situation may seems, we may not be superman but we have managed to overcome it.

    I'm proud to be your group mate and classmate in ES2007S. All the best in your future endeavours. :)

    Patrick :)

    ReplyDelete