Thursday, November 5, 2009

Oral Presentation :)

Thank God that the presentation is finally over! Patrick, Rebecca and I got together to rehearse for the first time on the day before our presentation. I actually enjoyed the process of the discussions throughout the rehearsal. I was blessed to have teammates who are willing to give criticism in a very respectful manner and at the same time receive correction humbly. It is because of this, we improved and I can say that we did the so much better in the actual presentation than in the ones we rehearsed! The transition was good and all of us managed to maintain eye contact with the audiences. However I think our presentation exceeded the time and we could have been more conscious of the time and speeded up accordingly. I hope they did not get bored and tired throughout the presentation. : |


During our rehearsals, I remembered I had a difficult time organizing the things that I need to say. I was not able to focus and I did badly that day. In fact, I like presentation in a way that it is like giving tuition to a class. However, the audience is different during presentation and this gave me pressures. On the actual day, I was not able to phrase my words properly and I stumbled quite a lot. I was tongue-tied so many times and I told myself not to burst out laughing like I did during the rehearsals because of my mispronunciations! Hopefully the audiences understood what I was saying as I was a little disorganized in my sentence structure. Nevertheless, I was less nervous than I expected. I think I was not that monotonous and was able to finish my part within my allocated time. Overall, I would say that the presentation was a valuable experience for me to build up my confidence! :)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Nappy!

    I thought your presentation was fine. Your stumbling wasn't that obvious, I didn't notice them anyway. I think you managed to smile through it, which was a good way of dealing with such situations. I thought you looked confident and had good tone.

    Being the last presenter, I thought it was good that you made references to what Rebecca and Patrick had mentioned earlier. It helped to make the presentation more cohesive.

    I think someone asked a question about having insufficient powerpoints for laptops during the Q&A, which I thought had nothing much to do with your presentation but your team answered it anyway.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nappy,

    Yes, thank God the presentation is over!

    I thought you did a good job during your presentation. I noticed that you were very confident. You smiled a lot, it looked like you were enjoying yourself during the presentation.

    Another point would be your voice projection. I felt that you could be a bit louder. Compared to Rebecca's and Patrick's voice projection, I thought yours was the softest :p I think you could improve on that, especially since you presented last, you might want to project your voice a little louder to keep your audience's attention.

    I like how your team engaged the audience. That was a plus for me.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nap! =)
    You did much better than what you mentioned in your blog post. You are very persuasive in a soft approach. Have more confidence in yourself!

    Nappy, you did a great job! Thanks for all the help and support!

    Rebecca =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much, Nappy for this critical reflection and for your great effort for the project. You've gotten lots of good feedback here, too. I'll send you my own later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nappy,

    I think you did a great job with the presentation! You maintained good eye contact with the audience throughout and smiled a lot. Having a nice smile doesn’t hurt right? As you have probably observed, smiling at the audience is very important as there are 2 benefits. Firstly, the audience will be more relaxed and receptive to what you have to say. Secondly, they will smile back too, helping you to relax and give a more confident speech. Having said all that, I realised I did not smile much! Oh no!
    The general flow of the presentation was fluent and simple for the audience to follow. I’m sorry that I’m unable to give much in terms of constructive criticisms as I’m not critically evaluating your group, so I did not note down all the nitty gritty details as I’m prone to. Since nothing significantly wrong with your presentation comes to mind, that would mean that in general, it’s pretty good!
    Cheers

    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear everyone,

    Thanks for all the feedbacks and encouragement! I really want to thank you guys for being so supportive during the presentation and so attentive. It boosted my confidence and led me to perform better than I expected. I have a lot more to learn in order to give a really good presentation. I always admired people who can speak confidently and fluently in front of a big audience and I hope to be able to do it easily as well. I believe all of us will be able to overcome the fear of public speaking, by practising more, receiving evaluation, and improving on it! :)

    Love,
    Nappy

    ReplyDelete